Sunday, September 9, 2012

made@home bodywash from bar soap

I've read several blog posts from the webierse about making your own body wash for WAY less than store-bought. And since I'm A: about out of bodywash, B: sleepless in Wyoming, and C: happen to have two bars of soap hanging around any ways... well, why the heck not?

There are lots and lots of methods, recipes and opinions about this out there, but the general consensus seems to be 1-2 cups of water per bar of soap, and the best results are achieved by grating the soap. The water content depends largely on how much moisturizer your chosen soap has in it.  I have Caress on hand, which isn't quite as lotion-y as Dove or Olay, so I'm gonna aim for 1.5 cups of water per bar.  Hopefully, the repetitive motion of grating two bars of soap will get me sleepy, and I'll be finishing this post tomorrow after work :)
~~~

Well, turns out grating soap is very meditative & good for those that can't sleep. This turned out much easier than I thought it would too. I grated the two bars while watching one of my recorded shows- I might have been able to work faster, but why would you? The whole point was for it to be soothing :).
I have no idea why this picture refuses to turn upright. Technology, eh?

I decided to grate it into a stainless mixing bowl on the off chance that I might screw this up and scorch soap in a stainless pan. Which would very much be bad. Then after work today, I needed to boil water for another thing, so I just added water from that to my bowl of grated soap about a half cup at a time. I had let the pan rest on the turned off burner when I was done with my boiling, so it wasn't quite boil-hot, but it was still quite toasty. This worked exceedingly well. I stopped at 2 cups of water- turns out Caress brand had a bit more lotion/moisturizer to it than I thought. ( The harsher the soap, the more water you will need, and possibly some extra glycerin.)
Stir, stir, stir as you add the hot water, and poof, magic happens- bodywash!

I just refilled my regular bodywash bottle. I had just a tiny glob left in it, so this project came along at just the right time. I also filled my travel bottle, and a Tupperware container- note to self: make one bars' worth at a time!




1 comment:

  1. I HATE grating soap! Because it's time consuming to the point my kids can't last that long without me, and I crash as soon as they're in bed most nights! Laundry alternative is dawn...wonder if there's a way I can finagle this. BTW, conditioner/vinegar/water-fabric softener, works GREAT!! And there are some MUCH better scents for conditioner than there are fabric softener!

    ReplyDelete