Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Let's get cookin #2

OK, time to post another bit of yumminess from my Saturday-o-cookin! (Which I get to do again in a few days!) Now, there's not a lot of actual "cooking" in this one per se, just a microwave moment, but it counts, right?

Premise behind this...quick, easy, cheap breakfast, withOUT resorting to poptarts! My kids like cereal, but don't always get moving quickly enough to sit down & eat a bowl before school. So I took some of their favorite cereals (that just happened to be on sale & Mommy had coupons for, or we'd be bagging it!!) & made them in the time honored tradition of rice krispie treats...with my own twist.

Ingredients first!
Gather everything together first, cereal, marshmallows (1 bag per batch), butter (1/2 stick per batch), &...this is my OWN addition, protein powder & milled flax seed. You need approx 7 cups of cereal, so pick & choose, mix & match to your (or your kids) heart's content!

Chocolate & Honey Nut Cheerios
Mix in a scoop of protein powder & sprinkle a LIGHT layer of flax onto the dry cereal.
DON'T shake or mix the bowl, or it all sinks to the bottom & makes a glorious mess! (My first batch was very powdery & messy due to this, 2nd batch, just yummy goodness)

Love my Pampered Chef mixing bowl!
In a microwave safe bowl (preferably glass), dump the marshmallows, & your butter. Microwave for approx 90 seconds, stirring every 30 (adjust as needed for your micorwave), until you get smooth, creamy marshmallowey (new word?) goodness! (Use a pot holder, handles get PRETTY toasty on those things!)

Next dump it all into your dry cereal mix, blend well, & press into a greased 9x13 pan (I have a glass one, less sticky mess, if using metal, I suggest lining with foil & greasing that). Let it set & voila!!

Chocolate & Honey Nut Cheerios

Vanilla Chex & Honey Nut Cheerios
Now, as I wanted to make two batches, & was trying to figure out, how can I keep 'em from sticking to each other when the kids are rushing, foil came to my mind. So after cutting my first batch into bars, I wrapped each bar in a piece of foil & bagged 'em for use throughout the week.The second batch, I left in the pan & used the lid I have for it to keep it fresh all week. I think next week, we're going for two pans with lids! This worked, but was a bit time consuming. I've got enough going on without adding anything to it!

Not pretty, but it works!!

No comments:

Post a Comment